St Leonard’s College
The Inspiring Innovations Project at St Leonard’s College provides a supportive atmosphere for student development and is designed to be in sympathy with existing buildings on the site and the surrounding residential neighbourhood.
One of the key elements of this new development was the New Leonardian Performing Arts Centre, including a 600 seat stand-alone arts facility to host theatrical and musical performances, a brand new, three-storey building with teaching spaces, a canteen, eleven dedicated learning areas, a lecturette and dedicated exam area, and an external outdoor agora linking the two new buildings.
The project’s architecture beautifully blends contemporary design with the existing heritage feel of the school campus, which maintains buildings constructed as early as the 1870s.The project’s architecture beautifully blends contemporary design with the existing heritage feel of the school campus, which maintains buildings constructed as early as the 1870s.
Inside, the auditorium has flexible acoustic technology and is carefully designed to accommodate multiple performance types.
It is also a teaching space where students can learn lighting and sound engineering, audio recording and set design. The stage and seating are fully accessible for students with disabilities or limited mobility.
The auditorium has the traditional shoebox shape that acoustic experts worldwide agree is the most successful model.
Several outdoor learning spaces were also added for the senior school. The main one is a courtyard area called the Agora. Located in the junction of the Leonardian, it has a small outdoor stage and a big screen.
CAG Key Deliverables
St Leonards College was a ‘design and construct’ project. It was a multi-stage project which along with some Covid interruptions, required an organised and detail focused approach to its coordination.
In providing the floor and stair safety solution, a key project highlight was the Vantt 5500 matting featured in the grand entryway. This was entirely customised to create a striking aesthetic.
The Classic team also worked closely with the Adco team to provide custom curved stair nosings and tactiles. This required the Classic team to create custom templates of each tread, as well as custom fabricated tactile templates to ensure both the nosings and tactiles followed the stair curves.
Classic also conducted all of the LRV testing and certification in both wet and dry conditions to all areas, ensuring compliance with the AS1428.1 and AS1428.4 standards.
|Location||Brighton East, Victoria|
|Images||ADCO Construct (for outdoor areas)|
- St Leonard’s College has 1600 students from Early Learning to Year 12
- Its campus has gracious heritage buildings and newer ones designed sympathetically to the old
- The new Leonardian Performing Arts Centre covers an approximate floor area of 2,800m squared and can now seat over 600 patrons
Supplied and Installed
- Classic Integra Vantt 5500 – Roll-up Aluminium Matting
- Classic Tredfx DKR104– Aluminium Safety Stair Nosing for Surface Mount Applications
- Classic Tredfx FMD106 – Aluminium Safety Stair Nosing for Carpet / Rubber Applications – Saffron with Saffron
- Classic Tredfx SNR019 – Aluminium Safety Stair Nosing for Surface Mount Applications – Black
- Classic Tredfx PBC102 – Aluminium Safety Stair Nosing for Broadloom Carpet Applications – Natural with Light Grey
- Classic Tredfx SH10N – Stainless Steel TGSI Individual Tactile