Melbourne Sports Centre – Parkville
Sports & Recreation
Melbourne Sports Centres – Parkville is one of Australia’s premier sporting venues offering sporting facilities and programs from grass roots to high-performance, international and Olympic level athletes.
More than 500,000 people a year play or watch netball, hockey and other events at the centre, with over 80% of its users being female. The recently completed SNHC project provides more opportunities for women of all ages to get active and strive for the best, on and off the courts. The redevelopment had a strong focus on women and girls in sport which will kick start initiatives to drive change and grow female leadership in sport.
Classic Architecture were engaged by Kane Construction to supply various safety products for the recent upgrade. The upgrade cements Parkville as the home for netball and hockey in Australia with six new indoor netball courts, a new indoor hockey pitch, hot and cold recovery pools, a crèche for parents playing at the centre, and a high-performance strength and conditioning gym. The centre caters for international elite athletes and competition as well as being a hub for athlete development, major sport programs, sector education programs, and sports administration.
CAG Key Deliverables
The Melbourne Sports Centre was a ‘design and construct’ project. Kane Construction had an obligation to bring the project up to compliance with the AS1428 and the NCC standards. This included not just the new portion of the project, but throughout the entire centre. Kane’s brief to Classic Architectural Group was to conduct an audit, including LRV testing, throughout the entire building and then advise Kane on what was required. Construction companies often don’t have the time to do these types of audits themselves, as they are time consuming and complex, and instead rely on the expertise of the team at Classic.
Once the thorough audit was provided, Kane consulted with their design team and consultants, and once confirmed this became the scope of works for Classic Architectural Group. It included supplying and installing all Entrance Matting, Tactiles, Stair Nosings, Bollards, Bike Racks, Speed humps and Skate Stops throughout the project.
|Completion Date||June 2021|
“As more projects lean towards a design and construct format, it’s really important to have sub-contractors on board that provide the end-to-end solution and that service through the job. I’ve worked with Classic for over 15 years, and that’s something they have always been able to give us.”
– Ainsley Middleton, Contract Manager, KANE Construction
- Hosts more than 500,000 players and spectators each year
- 80% of all participants are women and girls
- More than 150 jobs created by the redevelopment
- 73 women worked on the redevelopment site in trade and support roles
- About 93% of labour and materials were sourced under the Government’s Local jobs First Policy
Supplied and Installed
- Classic Integra Vantt 5500 – Roll-up Aluminium Matting
- Classic Integra Zone – Dirt and Moisture Barrier Caret Matting (in Storm)
Car Park Safety
- Classic Custom Bollards – Car Park Safety Bollards
- Classic Speedhumps – Car Park Safety Speedhumps
- Classic Signage – Various Car Park Signage
- Classic Tredfx SBR104 – Aluminium Safety Stair Nosing for Surface Mount Applications
- Classic Tredfx SBR103 – Aluminium Safety Stair Nosing for Surface Mount Applications
- Classic Tredfx LBR127– Aluminium Safety Stair Nosing for Surface Mount Applications
- Classic Tredfx DKR103 – Aluminium Safety Stair Nosing for Surface Mount Applications
- Classic Tredfx DKR104– Aluminium Safety Stair Nosing for Surface Mount Applications
- Classic Tredfx Fastile PT30A – Polyurethane TGSI Peel and Stick Warning Tactile Tile Format