Bendigo Law Courts
Legal & Military
The Bendigo Law Courts recently received a major upgrade. In its new form, the $152 million landmark civic building will transform the delivery of justice in Bendigo and Loddon Mallee, an area extending from Kyneton to Mildura throughout the north-west of Victoria.
The Bendigo Law Courts project involved completely rebuilding and expanding the law courts, incorporating the latest technology and infrastructure to enable remote hearings, display evidence, video conferencing and live streaming.
Collaboration with Bendigo’s Traditional Owners, the Dja Dja Wurrung has informed elements of the design, and John Wardle Architects and landscape architects ASPECT Studios worked closely with the Dja Dja Wurrung to bring these ideas to life. These design features set the scene for a culturally sensitive and inclusive court for the people of Bendigo and the Loddon Mallee.
CAG Key Deliverables
Classic was engaged to supply and install Entrance Matting, Tactiles and Stair Nosings throughout this project. The matting requirements were particularly complex. The design incorporated various patterns and required our team to align the mats accordingly to ensure the lines were consistent and matched up. The Tactiles and Stair Nosings required a large amount of LRV testing, all carried out by Classic, this was needed on all substrates and finishes (of which there were many!) to ensure compliance throughout the project.
|Builder||Kane Construction and Nicholson Constructions|
|Flooring Contractor||Floor 91|
|Architect||John Wardle Architects|
|Completion Date||April 2021|
- The first regional specialist court facility in Victoria
- The court accommodates 11 court rooms (including two hearing rooms), two mediation suites, remote witness facilities, safe waiting facilities, dedicated jury areas, meeting rooms for support agencies and client services.
- The five-storey building has been designed in consultation with legal practitioners, court users, local community service agencies, the City of Greater Bendigo, and in partnership with the Dja Dja Wurung Clans Aboriginal Corporation and Court Services Victoria.
- 90% of the building’s surfaces and materials have been locally sourced, made from a brick base with upper levels clad in copper.
- The building facade features a large-scale artwork by Indigenous artist Racquel Kerr. Made from hammered copper, the artwork depicts Djaara Creation figure Bunjil – a soaring wedge-tailed eagle – who oversees law and people’s conduct on Country.
- The building also accommodates the Magistrates Court, Children’s Court, Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, County Court of Victoria, Supreme Court of Victoria, and the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia on a circuit basis. The Koori Court and the Assessment and Referral Court will also operate from the new facility.
Supplied and Installed
The supply and installation of the floor and stair safety solution included Classic Integra commercial matting, Classic Tredfx Safety Stair Nosings and Tactile Indicators and Car Park Safety products, as listed below.
- Classic Integra Vantt 5500
- Classic Tredfx FMR104
- Classic Tredfx FMV105
- Classic Tredfx FMD106
- Classic Tredfx SH10N
- Classic Tredfx SH10N-B
- Classic Mirrors
- Classic Bike Racks
- Classic Disc