Create safer and cleaner learning environments by installing school entrance mats
Fostering a healthy and welcoming learning environment with cleaner, safer entrance areas, entrance matting is a key floor safety investment for schools. Commonly installed across doorways, foyers and walkways, school entrance mats play a crucial role in minimising the risk of slips, falls and other preventable accidents by trapping dirt, debris and moisture from footwear.
Influencing first impressions, installing durable indoor and outdoor entrance mats will also prevent the accumulation of unsightly dirt marks, scuffs and stains on your flooring over time. This not only helps to maintain your school’s visual appeal and overall reputation but can also reduce overall cleaning and flooring maintenance costs in the long run.
In this blog, we’ll explore the benefits of installing commercial entrance mats in schools, choosing between the different types available, and easy cleaning and maintenance tips.
The benefits of entrance mats in schools
Entrance mats offer a range of benefits to improve the overall safety, cleanliness and presentation of school facilities.
Here are 3 key benefits of installing high-quality school entrance mats:
- Enhancing health and safety
Absorbing moisture and dirt from shoes, slip-resistant entrance mats help to prevent slip and fall accidents caused by wet, slippery surfaces or the presence of trip hazards.
By trapping dust, debris and other contaminants at the door, entrance mats can also help to improve indoor air quality, which is especially important for those with allergies or respiratory conditions.
- Protecting flooring and reducing cleaning costs
Preventing dirt, dust, debris and moisture from being tracked further into the school building, entrance mats act as a key barrier to preserve the cleanliness of indoor areas.
They help to remove any abrasive dirt and residual debris from footwear, protecting the flooring and reducing the need for frequent extensive cleaning or replacement of floors and carpets.
- Promoting a welcoming and professional atmosphere
Reflecting your school’s commitment to health and safety, a clean and well-maintained entrance area creates a better learning environment for students and staff, as well as encouraging positive first impressions for parents and visitors.
Explore the 2 most popular types of entrance mats suitable for schools
When it comes to entrance matting for schools, there are generally two popular types – Indoor Entrance Mats and Outdoor Entrance Mats.
Indoor and entrance mats typically work hand in hand to provide optimum dirt and moisture barrier performance, keeping your floors clean while minimising the risk of slips, trips and falls.
Outdoor/ exterior entrance mats
Used across exterior applications, outdoor entrance matting is designed to handle constant exposure to various climatic conditions, such as rain and heat.
Durably constructed from weather-resistant materials, outdoor mats provide good scraper properties to remove any heavy soil or debris trapped in footwear before entering a facility.
Typically featuring an open-construction design, this enables debris to fall through the gaps, leaving the surface free of potential hazards.
Indoor/ interior entrance mats
Supporting the outdoor matting efforts, indoor entrance matting should continue the job of removing any residual soil, grit and moisture from footwear.
Tough and durable, indoor entrance mats are often crafted from highly-absorbent materials for effective moisture control and should be easy to clean and maintain.
Depending on the zoning system used, indoor entrance matting can be further categorised into:
- Primary interior entrance matting – this is the “main” indoor entrance mat for removing remaining traces of outdoor debris (minimum requirement)
- Secondary interior entrance matting – this is the “backup” indoor entrance mat for final drying and dust removal (optional)
Choosing the right entrance mat for your school
Aside from general design and aesthetic requirements, there are 3 key factors to consider when choosing the right entrance matting for your school.
1. Assess the traffic and usage patterns
With varying levels of activity across different school areas and general facilities, it’s important to assess the overall traffic and usage patterns.
- Estimating the level of expected traffic across each area (e.g. main lobby area vs. school gym) at any time
- Identifying the most common entry points and walking routes within each facility
2. Consider the size and placement required
Once you’ve estimated levels of traffic and usage, you’ll want to assess the various sizes and placements required.
- Using a zoning system to identify where interior (primary and secondary) and exterior entrance matting can be placed to optimise dirt barrier performance
- Determining the length and depth of indoor and outdoor entrance mats required
As a guide, our team often recommends a minimum entrance mat depth of about six footsteps to ensure ample moisture and dirt entrapment.
On the other hand, the length of matting required often depends on the estimated amount of daily footfall. For example, we often suggest a minimum of 3-4 metres for low-traffic areas (e.g. less than 80 people per hour) and a minimum of 8-12 metres for high-traffic areas (e.g. around 800 people per hour).
3. Evaluate material durability and cleaning requirements
Finally, you’ll need to evaluate the recommended materials and upkeep required to maximise the longevity and performance of your school entrance mats.
- Choosing the best materials across both your indoor and outdoor entrance mats – outdoor entrance matting should be made from hard-wearing and weather-resistant materials while indoor floor mats should feature quick-drying properties
- Establishing a regular cleaning and maintenance routine to optimise your entrance matting’s lifespan while upholding the presentation and cleanliness of your school premises
How to ensure proper care and maintenance of school entrance mats
To ensure the safety, cleanliness and presentation of your school facilities, preventative care and regular maintenance of entrance mats are essential. This helps to maintain your entrance matting’s slip-resistant qualities as well as optimising its ability to retain moisture and remove dirt and grit.
Here are some tips for effective care and maintenance of school entrance mats:
- Establish a regular cleaning schedule – determine the frequency of cleaning and vacuuming required based on the volume of foot traffic and weather conditions
- Spot cleaning – following the manufacturer’s care instructions, attend to any spills or stains promptly
- Periodic deep cleaning and maintenance – a periodic deep clean using a carpet extractor or commercial steam cleaner will help to thoroughly remove built-up debris and stains
- Maintenance and compliance check – regularly inspect your entrance mats for signs of wear and tear, loose threads and fraying edges to determine if any repairs are required
- Upgrades and replacements – if your entrance mats are well-worn or show signs of extensive damage, it may be time to consider replacing them entirely
Maximising your investment and providing peace of mind, Classic Architectural Group offers maintenance and replacement services across our entire range of school entrance mats. Dedicated to keeping your students, staff and families safe, our experienced team can assist you with a complete compliance assessment, general maintenance and quick product replacement services.
For more information, check out our recommended Maintenance & Replacement Checklist for Floor Safety or contact us to discuss your requirements.
Enjoy complete peace of mind when you invest in Classic’s high-quality school entrance mats
With standard and custom school mats available, visualise some of our most popular solutions in 3D:
Aligning with your goals, our friendly team can work with you to design, manufacture and install the best entrance matting for your school’s requirements. We can also assist with ongoing maintenance and replacement services, ensuring the longevity and effectiveness of your entrance mats.
From commercial entrance mats to tactile indicators and stair nosings, Classic offers an architecturally-designed range of floor safety and access products for schools and educational institutions Australia-wide. Surpassing your expectations with end-to-end support, explore our most recently completed projects in the education sector for more inspiration.
To learn more about our product range and how we can support your project, speak with an expert by calling 1300 244 377.